Friday, April 6, 2012

Printing Objects

"A 3D Printer Created this shoe"
March 31, 2012
This is by far one of the most interesting and amazing things I've ever seen. 3D Printing Systems has created a printer that prints out 3D objects from prosthetics, shoes, to model people. This video still has me speechless as I never thought I would see the day a machine could just print out an object. Even more baffling is the price. I would have expected something like this to cost upwards of $10,000 however it will soon be available for around $1,300. This amazing advance in technology makes me think that unimaginable things like time machines or flying cars are not as far away as I thought. This machine is so futuristic and unbelievable that it has me thinking I won't have to go buy shoes or things anymore, I can just print them out at home. The other amazing thing is how detailed and precise the machine is. The machine builds the object geometrically layer by layer assuring almost perfect detail and precision.
Another amazing part of this machine is it will be connected to apps on mobile phones so you can create the object you want then print it. I am still blown away by this technology however i do have my doubts. It seems almost too perfect and I cant imagine the shoe or object being very durable, comfortable, or genuine as it prints the whole object in the same, unidentified, material. It looks like some sort of rubber or plastic. I do still believe that this is amazingly ground breaking and revolutionary, however I do not see the need of it in residential homes right now. It seems very advanced and impressive but the fact that the objects are made entirely of some material would be a deal breaker for me. Something like this I see being great for medical suppliers and doctors looking to print out prothethics or supplies however i don't see the need for people to have them in their homes other than it being very cool to print out 3D objects. This is the start of something revolutionary though as I believe in the future the machine will continue to advance into printing out more detailed and unique items using different materials and will eventually be able to make some high quality products. Those advances however, I do not see coming anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. The fact that we have this technology shows how far our society has improved over the years. My immediate reaction to this invention was that it would be really expensive as well. I thought it would be around the same amount that you were expecting. Seeing how affordable this is for something as big as this, I think that at some point in the future I would invest in this printer. When you described how crazy and futuristic you thought this was, I immediately had the same reaction. It amazes me everyday that we get to live during a time period where technology is at an increases peak. In a way it does seem unrealistic, but we will have to see what happens once people being to purchase this invention, and start using it. Hopefully people benefit greatly from this, and I look forward to seeing how it develops over time!



    http://www.youtube.com/user/ObjetGeometries?v=ZdjP7hNR5EY

    ReplyDelete