Friday, April 6, 2012

Blog EC: 8 things worse than Google.

Ian Sullivan
4/06/12
8 Privacy Threats Worse Than Google
Information Week - March 3rd 2012

Over the past few months there has been a lot of hoopla over Google and its use of "cookies" to store personal information on their servers. Personally it seems kind of like the old saying "Have your cake and eat it too". People want Google to remember them and keep some of their old search results and their password for their emails and such, but they don't want Google to store any personal information. Personally, I don't really care what Google knows, because there are worse things out there. Speaking of worse things here is the top eight things that can ruin your day on the internet far worse than Google:

1. Shoulder Surfers: That guy who stands over you while your on the computer and those people on the airplane with nothing better to do.

2. Hackers: I mean, come on, who is worse than a guy who lives to make you miserable?

3. Significant Others: For a time it's all, "I love you". Then it becomes, "I know your secrets and will destroy you".

4. Government: Who said that "Big Brother" isn't always watching?

5. Credit Bureaus: There job is to know everything about you... nuff said.

6. Information Vendors: Pretty much a Credit Bureau with out the focus on financial assets.

7. Your Employer: When your in the office your life is their business. Everything you do there is fair game to them.

8. Last but certainly not least. YOU. You are the dummy who clicked the link to allow a virus on your PC. And your the one who forgot to change your privacy setting. So who else can you blame but you?

With this list of eight fiends of the internet how can we believe that Google remembering the things we searched last night is the worst thing out there. I for one am glad that Google knows me, because I hate having to re-Google every thing I search for. As far as I am concerned, I keep my E-Mail with them, and I save hundreds of school documents to Google Docs. I mean, if I didn't trust them with personal information then how would I live? I honestly don't think I would (at least not very well).

No comments:

Post a Comment