Friday, April 6, 2012

"Most finders of lost phones try to access personal data, survey finds" By Amy Gahran, Special to CNN updated 10:39 AM EDT, Tue March 20, 2012
Security software provider, Symantec, conducted a test to see what people do when they find a lost cell phone. They specially programed and “lost” 50 phones in a few major cities. The results they found were somewhat disturbing because very few were honest. Although about half of the people who found the phones did eventually try to return them, almost everyone had searched through the phone looking through media and personal banking information. So it is definitely a smart idea to have a password to log onto your phone, but even those can be hacked. This article warns us of the dangers of having too much information on your cell phone if it gets into the hands of the wrong people. I do not own a smart phone, therefore, this has never been a concern for me. Even if I did I would definitely have a password on it. Also, just to be on the safe side, I would probably not use online banking or keep any other important information or documents on my phone. If I did have to use my online banking at times I would play it safe and delete my password information after I finished using it. If I ever get a smartphone I would probably not let it out of my sight. Not only would I not wanna lose it because of the information on it but simply just because of how much I had to pay for it. It is actually sad that even if you don't lose your phone, you can still be in danger of getting it stolen. Smarphone theft is a trending crime in todays advanced technology society. I have heard stories of people searching through someones backpack to steal their phone and even of people getting jumped and beaten up for their phone. It is crazy that a cell phone has become that valuable to people. Up until this year I was still using a small little flip phone until my Dad decided it was time to get somewhat of an upgrade. I still do not have a smartphone but what I have will do for now, and at least I don't have to worry about getting robbed or mugged for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment